Tuesday, July 12, 2011

D-120: Preparation starts, as with Korean classes

TODAY IS D-DAY MINUS 120 - 120 more days to the start of a 6-mth Korean adventure, to be alone and away from the comforts and protection of a ready home... A chance to learn for real how to manage my life (and possibly others')... A litmus test to see if I can truly be independent and ready for a family...

I have proven to myself that I can be very adaptable (read: Best Botak in BMTC School 2 Ninja Company Platoon 2) - but being adaptable and independent are 2 different things all together! I hope to be disciplined in blogging, or writing in some form so that I can live and re-live this adventure in retrospect(ion?).

This adventure starts with Korean lessons today at the Inlingua School of Languages (near CineLeisure). As I am determined to make the most of this very unique opportunity of a lifetime, I have paid $321 for this twice-weekly-for-5-weeks-course to prepare myself properly for this immersion.

But quite frankly, I am disappointed with the course I've signed up for - indigenous Korean no doubt, but he can hardly speak English? More than half the time more than half the class is guessing what he's trying to teach through his gestures. No worries, I've got Jules, Bunnie and best of all - Mi Ae, to teach me! =]

I received a call this morning from a disengaged NS clerk - that my application for deferment (Feb-2012 HighKey ICT) is being looked into; I checked with SCFB-Jey - the receiving manager, on the procedure on obtaining a Korean work permit - visa to follow after work permit is settled.

There are a couple of other loose ends to tie before I start on my marathon holiday and travels - I am happy to say that many of these were seen to, or at least noted looked into already. Chief amongst my concerns is my dearest B&W scooter, which has served me well for the past 2 years - its COE expires 1-Nov-11, bumpers! Now I was more than prepared to let it sit in the car park till I return, but that's not even valid now!

Do I want to extend the COE? Or should I just move on to a car? I've been told - once you get a car, you'll be held hostage to COE / road tax / fuel hikes... And that a car is nothing but a liability. But if you don't start financing a car, you probably never will? Work the finances into your lifestyle... But fuck the COE prices still...

1.30am now, time to end this post - I'll leave ya'll with a question I often ask myself - and have been asking since many many years back - which is harder? Hanging on or letting go? (Do drop me a message if you have an answer, cuz I don't.)

Berd's Hectic Schedule to year's end and beyond:
13-Aug-11 to 23-Aug-11: New Zealand Adventure Road Trip!
24-Aug-11 to 27-Aug-11: Thailand Shopping / Makan / Massage Trip!
12-Oct-11 to 01-Nov-11: Exercise Wallaby (Australia) - High Key ICT
05-Nov-11 to 05-May-12: Korea!

Berd's Loose Ends to Tie in between:
- Stock up on books to bring to Korea
- Stock up on videos / drama to bring to Korea
- Winter clothing (from Tim)
- Motorcycle
- Work permit & VISA
- Business cards
- Laptop (from xw?), or to buy a netbook?
- And many many more...

No comments: