Monday, July 27, 2009

The NO Complaining Rule

~ Book by Jon Gordon

Read this book recently - everyone should read it for the line below:

"Don't complain. 80% of the people you complain to don't care and 20% are glad you have problems."
~ Lou Holtz


And the 3 techniques shared in the book summarized below:

(1) The But --> ___ Positive Technique:
Turn complaints in positive thoughts, solutions and actions - it empowers! Simply add a "but", and finish the sentence opposite to the direction you started from.

EG1: I hate taking the damn packed-MRT to work, but I'm thankful I have a job.
EG2: I don't have enough time, but I am thankful at least for the 20 mins a day I get to spend with my awesome baby niece - Madeline.

(2) Focus on "Get To" instead of "Have To":
Often, we focus on the negative more than the positive.

EG1: "I have to work tomorrow." - You get to do things. You get to live this life. You get to go to work when many people are unemployed.
EG2: "I have to wash my car." - You get to wash your car. Poor Berd is still saving for his 1st car! >.< Dream car for the record, Audi TT.

(3) Turn Complaints in Solutions:
Basically, every complaint is a feedback, just expressed negatively by an R-tard.
Every complaint is a suggestion for improvement.
You just need to find a solution and the credit's all yours.

No comments: